Saturday, March 25, 2006

 

Go Bananas!

My favorite weird tidbit of the week came from an eBay listing for a 1930s cookbook, The New Banana, which was published by the United Fruit Company. UFCO, as history nerds know, was the original "banana republic" multinational, tied up in all sorts of postwar CIA shenanigans in Central America.

But even I wasn't ready for this revelation:

From United Fruit Company (UFCO), a company with a rich history comes this recipe booklet featuring bananas. Images picture some nice china and a little depression glass. Recipes include BANANAS WITH BACON, BANANA FRITTERS, BAKED BANANAS, GLAZED BANANAS WITH PINEAPPLE, BANANA AND TOMATO SALAD, BANANA TEA CAKE, ICE CREAM, MOUSSE and more. UFCO was also responsible for a film, Why the Kremlin Hates Bananas, that portrayed UFCO as leading the fight against the evils of communism....

Oh my god.

I... I must have this film!



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?